Specknoses, known in Japan as Hanan Glasses (メガネハナーン Meganehanān), are recurring enemies in the Kid Icarus series. This creature looks like a flying nose with eyes and what appears to be a big, bushy mustache. It often appears in large groups when attacking.
The Specknose is one of three enemies based on an exaggerated facial feature, the others being Monoeye and Mick. It is an organism resembling a nose wearing spectacles, as its name suggests, giving it a rather bizarre appearance. The creature also has what looks like a mustache at first sight, although it is actually a collection of feelers that it can use for hunting or attacking. Specknoses are nocturnal and very much hate sunlight. If a doorway into their chamber is opened by someone and lets in the light, they will begin to swarm around the offender like Bats. Over the years, however, they slowly adapted to brighter conditions and can now attack in broad daylight without consequence. Additionally, they have displayed a unique ability to carry weapons within their nostrils, such as bombs.
Specknoses are enemies that only appear in Enemy Lairs. They fly in a swarm-like pattern, similar to Ganewmedes and Tros. Unlike most enemies, though, Specknose isn't worth any experience points. Despite what the manual says, Specknose's speed doesn't increase with Pit's proximity.
An inhabitant of the enemy's nest. A real coward, it hates brightly lit places. However, it'll jump out real fast once it's spotted Pit.
|Hit Points||Damage||Hearts||Score (Experience)|
Specknose returns in Kid Icarus: Uprising as a much more challenging enemy than ever before. Not only is it unusually strong compared to other enemies, but it also has a powerful projectile bomb attack that it launches from both of its nostrils. It no longer attacks in large swarms, and can now fight alongside other enemies with brute force. In addition, a Specknose can also fake out Pit by sneezing at him.
Specknose prefers damp climates and, while cowardly by nature, isn't afraid to launch sneeze bombs at the first sight of prey. Its mustache-like growth is actually a set of tentacles. Gross, right?
Specknoses appear as enemies in the Kid Icarus challenge.
Specknose appear as a trophy in the 3DS version.
Let's get one thing straight here—those are tentacles, not hair, hanging under that oversized nose. Specknoses may look goofy, but you should be wary of the dangerous projectiles they can shoot from their nostrils. Ew! I hope those are just regular bombs...
- The Japanese name for Specknose is a play on words of the words Hana (鼻) meaning nose, and Megane (メガネ) meaning glasses.
- Specknose bears a striking resemblance to the famous novelty glasses modeled after Groucho Marx, a famous comedian from the 1930s.
- According to an interview from the Japanese magazine Nintendo Dream the enemy Specknose was inspired by the composer of Kid Icarus, Hirokazu Tanaka. Toru Osawa and other staff joked that Hirokazu Tanaka has an "enormous nose" and noted that if someone brought 'nose glasses' to the company, people would playfully joke "It's Hirokazu Tanaka!" 
- In the original Japanese version of Kid Icarus, the worst ending had Pit being transformed into a Specknose. This was removed in the English version, and replaced with an extra 'best' ending.
- If one looks closely at the bombs that Specknose unleashes, a silhouette of its physical form can be seen printed on the sides.
|Classic Kid Icarus series enemies and bosses|
|Kid Icarus||Collin • Commyloose • Daphne • EelEye • Eggplant Wizard • Erinus • Ganewmede • Girin • Hewdraw • Holer • Keepah • Keron • Kobil • Komayto • McGoo • Medusa • Mick • Minos • Moila • Monoeye • Monolith • Nettler • Octos • Pandora • Pluton • Pluton Fly • Reaper • Rokman • Shemum • Shulm • Snowman • Specknose • Syren • Tamambo • Tanatos • Totem • Tros • Twinbellows • Uranos • Zuree|
|Of Myths and Monsters||Bat • Big Toe • Busy Bee • Cyclops Hopper • Cyclops Skull • Eggplant Wizard • Fire Serpent • Fireball • Fuzz Ball • Globe • Gruff • Gubble • King Krab • Komayto • Lunus • Merc • Minotaur • Monolith • Octus • Orcos • Putt • Pythagoras • Reaper • Shadow Mask • Skullwing • Slime • Snake • Spitball Blob • Spunky • Sticky Talon • Stone Golem • Totem • Wormser|